Relocation Actions

Whether you are seeking to relocate with your child or want to prevent the relocation of your children, we can help!

Life is ever-changing, and we can’t quite predict when opportunities or circumstances might arise that lead us to new places. When you have had to establish a family law agreement that concerns your children, a new job in a new city might be an exciting change, but it comes with legal ramifications. Parenting plans in particular need to be adjusted, updated, or entirely renegotiated as a result of life changes that involve relocation.

There are many reasons why a parent may wish to relocate, but the most common are related to employment opportunities or a desire to be closer to extended family. When relocation is on the horizon, one parent may need to take legal action either to relocate their children away from the other parent or to prevent the other parent from relocating the children.

If a parent wishes to relocate a child who is named in a Washington State parenting plan, that parent must notify the other parent. If the parent wishes to move the child to a different school district, the relocating parent must comply with additional notice requirements under state law, and the non-relocating parent has the opportunity to contest the relocation but must do so within 30 days of receiving a Notice of Relocation.

If you are confronted with relocation issues, we can advise you to ensure your intended relocation proceeds in accordance with the law or represent you in an Objection to Relocation Action. We can provide vigorous representation whether you wish to relocate your children, prevent the relocation of your children, or simply wish to obtain an alternative residential schedule due to relocation.

The fact of the matter is that relocation actions often involve child custody disputes. They can and often do turn into child custody modification suits. When it comes to doing what’s best for your family, let us put our experience and dedication to work for you. We can help you tackle any issues related to the relocation of your children.

If you are the primary residential parent of your child and intend to relocate your residence, or if you are a parent who has received a notice of an intended relocation, feel free to contact us for an appointment to discuss your rights and obligations.

Emergency Call

In case of urgent, feel free to ask questions.